The University Computing Centre (URZ) is Heidelberg University's central IT service provider for all matters relating to information and communication technology. Our clients include students, scientists and employees: we offer access to a wide range of IT services, as well as support and advice on the use of these services. The URZ is the main contact point for all IT-related questions and problems. We are also responsible for training university members in the use of services, procuring hardware and software, and installing computer systems.
- Services optimised for research, teaching, studies and administration
- User-friendly, reliable and efficient basic IT systems
- Latest technology implemented in services and infrastructure
- Research for the IT infrastructure and services of the future
- National and international representation of Heidelberg University's interests in IT infrastructure and services
- The URZ informs researchers, teachers, students and members of the administration and central institutions quickly, directly and transparently; user needs are taken into account.
As the driving force of IT innovation, the URZ promotes pioneering technologies and thus supports the research of current and future Heidelberg scientists. The cornerstones of these activities include extensive projects with the following focus areas, among others:
- Energy efficiency of IT infrastructure
- Cloud computing for the expansion of a virtualized server concept for institutes
- Providing premium petabyte-volume storage and consistently optimising our data security and communication network.
In cooperation with research institutes and industry on the state, national and international level, we work to constantly improve the base conditions for research and teaching in the IT sector.
Under the direction of Prof. Dr. Vincent Heuveline, more than 100 employees work at the URZ today. We offer a wide range of IT expertise divided into the four service areas "Cloud Solutions & Data Analytics", "Future IT - Research & Education", "Core Technologies & Collaboration Services" and "Smart Campus Solutions". The URZ also features a central office which acts as a main contact point for internal and external business processes. In the areas of IT security, planning and strategy, the URZ management is supported by two dedicated departments. With the assistance of the URZ data protection supervisor, we ensure the availability of data, services and applications, as well as the integrity and confidentiality of said data.
Learn about our wide range of services on our website and make use of our extensive support in case of any problems. A university of excellence is based on excellent IT.